Coconut cake is a popular dessert enjoyed by people all over the world. It’s a moist and delicious cake that’s ideal for any occasion, from birthdays to weddings. We will show you how to bake and decorate a delicious and moist coconut cake that will impress your guests in this ultimate guide. We’ll also give you some pointers on how to make the perfect coconut cake.
This perfect Coconut Cake is made with the most delicious from-scratch white cake recipe! Cream cheese coconut frosting on a soft, moist crumb!
The Ingredients for Coconut Cake
To make a delicious and moist coconut cake, a few key ingredients are required. Among them are flour, sugar, eggs, butter, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla extract, coconut milk, and shredded coconut. We will go over each of these ingredients in detail and provide advice on how to select the best ingredients.
Egg Whites: You will not be using egg yolks in today’s white cake.
Buttermilk: In my white cake recipe, I always use buttermilk!
Do you want more coconut flavor? Replace the buttermilk with cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez). This is NOT the same as coconut milk. The fat content of various coconut milk brands varies, and the results were inconsistent. The Cream of Coconut is ideal. Worried? Make use of buttermilk!
Extracts- I use a mixture of vanilla and almond extracts. Use coconut extract instead of almond extract if you can find it!
How to Make and Bake a Coconut Cake
This was the ideal starting point for today’s recipe, which was inspired by my white cake. Make sure to carefully follow the instructions!
- Wet Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine the egg whites and some of the buttermilk. Room-temperature butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract should be combined in a mixing bowl.
- Dry Ingredients: Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine: To the butter and sugar mixture, add the dry ingredients. Finally, beat in the remaining buttermilk and the egg white mixture. Mix in the coconut.
- Bake: For this recipe, I use two 9-inch cake pans. Use a generous amount of baking spray (the kind with flour in it that is designed for baking) or parchment paper. You could also make your own cake release.
- Assemble: One cake layer should be placed on a cake stand. Spread a generous layer of frosting on top and smooth with an offset spatula. Place the second layer of cake on top. Cover the entire cake in the frosting.
Place the cake stand on a baking sheet to add the coconut flakes or shredded coconut to the top and sides of the cake (to help catch excess coconut). Fill your hand with coconut and gently press it into the sides of the cake. Repeat until the desired amount of coconut has been applied. ENJOY!
You can also check these recipes :
- HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
- VANILLA BUTTERMILK POUND CAKE: BEST DESSERT RECIPE
- BEST CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Tips and Tricks :
There are a few tips and tricks to remember when making the perfect coconut cake. These include using room-temperature ingredients, carefully measuring the ingredients, and not overmixing the batter.
For best results, use sweetened shredded coconut! If you prefer, toast the coconut for the outside of the cake. Sweetened coconut is moister than unsweetened coconut, which aids the texture of today’s cake.
Cream Cheese: For the frosting, use block cream cheese rather than cream cheese spread.Print
FOR THE CAKE:
- 5 egg whites, room temperature,
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- 3/4 cup unsalted softened to room temperature butter
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar
- a tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) softened room temperature cream cheese
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
FOR THE CAKE:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and 1/4 cup of the buttermilk until just combined. Place aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, vanilla, and almond extracts in a mixing bowl for 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping down the sides as needed. Mix in the dry ingredients until well combined. Mix in the egg white mixture until completely combined. Beat in the remaining milk for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in the coconut.
- Using a baking spray, coat two 9-inch cake pans. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 26-28 minutes at 350°F. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
- 3 minutes, using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment beat butter and cream cheese. Combine the powdered sugar and heavy cream. 4-5 minutes more, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand to assemble. Spread a generous layer of frosting on top and smooth with an offset spatula. Place the second layer of cake on top. Cover the entire cake in the frosting. Place the cake stand on a baking sheet to add the coconut to the top and sides of the cake (to help catch excess coconut). Fill your hand with coconut and gently press it into the sides of the cake. Repeat until the desired amount of coconut has been applied. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Additional Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 26 minutes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 527
- Sugar: 62g
- Sodium: 231mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 82g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
Keywords: Coconut Cake ,coconut cake recipe,coconut cake recipes,recipe for coconut cake,best coconut cake recipe,coconut cream cake recipe,easy coconut cake recipe
Recipe resources : Sallys baking addiction
Hi there, I’m Chef Lisa, a culinary enthusiast with a passion for creating delicious dishes that bring people together. With years of experience in the kitchen, I’ve honed my skills and developed a unique style that blends classic techniques with modern flavors. Whether I’m experimenting with new ingredients or putting a twist on a traditional recipe, my goal is always to create something that is both delicious and memorable. I’m excited to share my love of cooking with you and can’t wait to see what we’ll create together!