Do you want a salad that tastes like summer but is light and refreshing? Our Classic Cucumber Tomato Salad is what you’re looking for. In this article, we’ll show you how to make a delicious dish with crisp English cucumbers, juicy Roma tomatoes, and a spicy dressing. It’s the perfect side dish for picnics, barbecues, or a quick, healthy snack.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before we dive into the preparation, let’s gather all the ingredients you’ll need:
For the Salad
- 1.5 lb English cucumber
- 1/5 lb Roma Tomatoes, seeded (6-8)
- 1 red onion
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
How To Make Classic Cucumber Tomato Salad
Now, let’s get started on making this delightful Classic Cucumber Tomato Salad:
Step 1 : Preparing the Vegetables
- Begin by washing and drying the English cucumbers and Roma tomatoes.
- Cut the cucumbers and tomatoes in half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove the seeds. This step ensures that your salad won’t become watery.
- After seeding, cut each cucumber and tomato into roughly 1-inch chunks.
- Finely slice the red onion into half-moon shapes.
Step 2 : Assembling the Salad
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine all of the prepared vegetables—the cucumber chunks, tomato chunks, and sliced red onion.
Step 3 : Making the Dressing
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. The combination of vinegar and olive oil adds a tangy and luscious flavor to the salad.
Step 4 : Tossing and Chilling
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables in the large bowl.
- Gently toss the salad to ensure that the dressing evenly coats all the vegetables.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate the salad for at least 1 hour. For the best flavor, you can refrigerate it overnight.
Serving and Enjoying
Give your Classic Cucumber Tomato Salad one last toss to bring out the flavors after it has been chilled. Serve it cold and enjoy how crisp the cucumbers are, how juicy the tomatoes are, and how well the flavors go together in every bite. This salad goes well with grilled meats, sandwiches, or can be eaten on its own as a healthy snack.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Can I use regular cucumbers instead of English cucumbers?
- Absolutely! English cucumbers are preferred for their thin skin and mild flavor, but regular cucumbers will work just fine.
- How long can I store leftover salad in the refrigerator?
- You can store leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, it’s best when consumed fresh.
- Can I customize the dressing with additional herbs or spices?
- Of course! Feel free to experiment with fresh herbs like basil or dill, or add a pinch of your favorite spices to tailor the dressing to your taste.
- What can I serve this salad with for a complete meal?
- This salad pairs well with grilled chicken, fish, or as a side dish alongside a classic sandwich or wrap.
- Can I make this salad ahead of time for a picnic?
- Yes, it’s a great make-ahead dish for picnics. Just remember to keep it chilled until serving to maintain its freshness.
Now that you have the recipe and all your questions answered, it’s time to enjoy your homemade Classic Cucumber Tomato Salad! Bon appétit!
Hi there, I’m Chef Lisa, a culinary enthusiast with a passion for creating delicious dishes that bring people together. With years of experience in the kitchen, I’ve honed my skills and developed a unique style that blends classic techniques with modern flavors. Whether I’m experimenting with new ingredients or putting a twist on a traditional recipe, my goal is always to create something that is both delicious and memorable. I’m excited to share my love of cooking with you and can’t wait to see what we’ll create together!