The Best Texas Turtle Sheet Cake is a delicious dessert that has become a classic in Texas and all over the country. This moist and delicious cake has the flavors of chocolate, pecans, and caramel. Texas Turtle Sheet Cake is a great choice for a sweet treat, whether you’re planning a party or just want to treat yourself. In this article, we’ll talk about the history of this delicious cake, its ingredients, how to make it, how to serve it, and some helpful tips and answers to frequently asked questions.
History of Texas Turtle Sheet Cake
Texas Turtle Sheet Cake comes from the Lone Star State, where it became popular at potlucks, family gatherings, and community events. The cake is thought to have been made for the first time in the middle of the 20th century. Since then, it has become a common dessert in Texas. It’s called “turtle” because it tastes and feels like turtle candies, which usually have caramel, pecans, and chocolate.
Ingredients You’ll need :
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (256g) self-rising flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (237g) coffee (can use hot water instead)
- ⅓ cup (39g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (120g) buttermilk* (see notes)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Chocolate Frosting :
- ¼ cup (57g) butter
- ¼ cup (60g) buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons (22g) unsweetened cocoa
- 2½ cups (312g) confectioners sugar
- Turtle Topping :
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup caramel sauce, for drizzling over top
How To Make This Best Texas Turtle Sheet Cake
Chocolate Cake :
- Turn oven on to 350°F. Line a 10×15-inch (or 9×13, but the cake will be thicker and fudgier) pan with parchment paper. If necessary, spray the sides with nonstick spray.
- Mix self-rising flour and granulated sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 cup coffee (or hot water), and 1 cup butter in a saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring all the time.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture while it is still warm. Mix the ingredients with a hand-held mixer or by hand for about 30 seconds, until they are all mixed together.
- Add the eggs and buttermilk. Mix on medium speed for another 30 seconds, or until the ingredients are completely mixed.
- Pour into a baking dish that has been set up and baked for 20 to 25 minutes. When a cake is done baking, you should be able to touch it and feel it spring back. When you pull out a toothpick, it should be mostly clean, but a few crumbs are fine. (Check again in 17 minutes.)
Chocolate Frosting :
- Mix 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup buttermilk, and 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder in a medium saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring all the time.
- Take it off the heat and add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time with a wire whisk.
- Spread the warm frosting on the cake or pour it on.
Turtle Topping :
- Sprinkle the cake with chopped pecans and mini chocolate chips while it is still warm. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
Tips for Best Texas Turtle Sheet Cake :
- Make sure you use the right amount of each ingredient for the best results.
- For a rich chocolate taste, use good cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
- Don’t pour the turtle topping on the cake until the cake is completely cool. This will keep the topping from becoming too runny.
Hi there, I’m Chef Lisa, a culinary enthusiast with a passion for creating delicious dishes that bring people together. With years of experience in the kitchen, I’ve honed my skills and developed a unique style that blends classic techniques with modern flavors. Whether I’m experimenting with new ingredients or putting a twist on a traditional recipe, my goal is always to create something that is both delicious and memorable. I’m excited to share my love of cooking with you and can’t wait to see what we’ll create together!